Masters of Library and Information Science. May 2013
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, N.J. Concentration: Digital Libraries and Preservation
Bachelor of Arts. Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, N.J. Major: Journalism and Urban Communications
Archives Technician. New York Public Radio Archives April 2018 to present
- Digitized, catalogued and archived the prehistory of On the Media using Adobe Audition, DAVID, and Library of Congress headings.
Production Director. Learning Ally (formerly Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic), Princeton, N.J. 1998 to April 2018.
- Recruited, scheduled, and managed 200+ volunteers producing audio textbooks for inclusion in the nation’s largest library of accessible educational material for people with a visual impairment or dyslexia
- Scripted print textbook layouts, input metadata, and created navigation structures for conversion to linear audio textbook recording using proprietary software, HTML, and XML
- Provided technical support for computer hardware and software and audio recording hardware and software
- Wrote copy for newsletters, press releases, web sites, e-mails, public service announcements, and other organization communications. Designed newsletters and annual reports. Represented organization for public affairs interviews. Successfully pitched print articles and broadcast segments to media outlets.
- Assisted in the creation of VoiceText, an accessible audio/ebook hybrid, helping create improved production workflows and software upgrades
- Managed remote volunteer recording program
Production Manager. Edison Literary Review, Edison, N.J. 2003 to Present.
- Designed layout and worked with printers to produce an annual literary journal
- Edison Arts Society Artist of the Month, Spring 2004.
Senior Copywriter/Network Administrator. Rickel Home Centers, South Plainfield, N.J. 1986 to 1997.
- Wrote copy for print and broadcast advertisements, promotional videos, public service announcements, and other communications targeted to consumers and vendors
- Supervised copy staff
- Provided support for a desktop publishing network
- Assisted in training and support for Apple OS, QuarkXPress, Adobe Photoshop, and other desktop publishing applications
Newsroom Intern. WERA-AM, Plainfield, N.J. 1980.
- Conducted interviews and wrote and produced content for a news-oriented radio station
- New Jersey Professional Librarian Certification
- New Jersey Special Libraries Association
- American Library Association
- Rutgers University Chapter of Beta Phi Mu, The International Library and Information Studies Honor Society
Microsoft Windows, Apple OSX, Apple iOS, Microsoft Office, Google Docs, Apple Pages, Volgistics, Audacity, Sound Forge
Experience with online reference databases including EBSCO, Gale, and others
Experienced in preserving print and audio materials in sustainable digital formats
Familiarity with Library of Congress and Dewey classification and cataloging standards
Website creation using Weebly, Dreamweaver, Omeka, HTML, XML, CSS, and Flash. Examples include: St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Tony Gruenewald.com, Rutgers Multimedia Production class, Rutgers Digital Library Technology class, and Rutgers Digital Libraries class.
Designed books and newsletters using QuarkXPress, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat, and Microsoft Word including The Secret History of New Jersey by Tony Gruenewald, When the Gods Play Hide and Seek by Gina Larkin and St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church's newsletter Epistle.
(2003, February). Learning through listening: Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic unlocks the curriculum for learning disabled students. NJEA Review, 76(6):14-15.
(2009) The Secret History of New Jersey. Red Bank, NJ: Northwind.